Monday, May 6, 2013

Serving with a loving spirit


For a long time I have been a put upon mom.  You can always spot a put upon mom.  Shoulders slumped over, an audible deep sigh, rolling eyes, and phrases spewing out that sound like this, "oookkk ! I will get you a drink.  Again."  Yes shamefully that was me for a time and God convicted me of it.  Part of it is my phlegmatic nature colliding with the sheer mass of overwhelming stuff there is to do!  Being a mom is exhausting, thankless, never ending and some days it sucks the life right out of you.  It's only natural to feel put upon from time to time.  But I can't let from time to time turn into all the time.  Because being a mom is also a blessing.   It's a lesson from God on how to be more like God.  Mothering has taught me a lot about the Heavenly virtues of patience, grace, selflessness, and sacrifice.  No other experience in life has changed me so much.


Being a mom is a profound responsibility.  It is one of those revolutionary, world changing responsibilities, although in the midst of the day to day it doesn't seem like it.  Wiping noses and passing out snacks does not change the world.  But we moms are doing more than that.  As moms we are helping to shape little people that will grow into big people, good or bad.

I feel so inadequate to be so much to these two little ones.  Right now in their young lives, I am everything to them.  Their tiny worlds mostly revolve around me because I am their mom.  Their protector, their caretaker, their friend, their teacher, their maid.  Just kidding.  Sort of.  My words and actions can have a lasting impact, for better or worse.  Which makes it all the more important to create a loving sanctuary from the outside world and provide a patient lap to sit on and listening ears.  Because it won't always be like that.  If I do my job right, these two little ones will grow up and leave the nest.  My influence over them is short lived.

My new mission as a wife and mom is to not just serve my family, but to do it with a loving spirit.  I am going to watch the body language, the tone of my voice.  I am going to choose my words carefully.

Like I said, I feel inadequate for this great task.  And without the Lord I am inadequate.  My prayer is simply Lord help me be the mom you created me to be for these two precious gifts on loan to me from You.  Help me be the best mom I can.  This does not mean perfect.  Mistakes will be made.  A sigh will most likely escape.  I will be impatient.  But prayerfully over the course of time, there will be more laughter than tears.  There will be more I love you's than I'm sorry's.  There will be more loving care than inconvenienced care.  Because I never want my family to feel as if they are an inconvenience to me.  Just like I know that I am not an inconvenience to the Lord.  The Lord welcomes me with loving arms every time I come to Him.  I don't feel anger and impatience from Him.  I feel loved and wanted and peace.  So one day at a time, I will listen to them, love on them, and care for them with a new spirit.  A loving spirit.

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! One day at a time is just how I need to look at things!

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete